Monday, December 13, 2010

Today's Blog Post Brought To You By Math

Lynne is my boss.  You can learn more about her awesome skills in this old post.  Sometimes, I have to do Lynne's work for her because she's going on vacation or has an important salad to eat or doesn't feel like doing stuff.  I realize this is because I am the office bitch and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm coming to terms with it.  To help illustrate my point, I have created this diagram showing the Senior Solutions office hierarcy:




I'm sure many of you can relate to this.   I have remained at the same point on the totem pole since I began college, regardless of my job.  I seem to have hit some sort of glass totem pole ceiling.  When I graduated, I thought (wrongly) that I might actually get to move up the pole.  I figured if I had a degree and a professional license, that had to put me above a few people, right?  It does.  As you can plainly see from the illustration, I'm in a position to have as many as one intern working right under me.

As a college student, I did learn some very important math skills.  I took over two math classes at BSU, so I feel like I'm pretty much a professional at crunching numbers and processing data.  Some people argue that math isn't relevant to life.  They say they'll never use it outside of school.  To those people I say au contraire, bonjour.  Despite having a career that requires absolutely zero math skills, I happen to have put my own math skills to good use by illustrating my points through pie charts.  For example:





Alas, I have found that more often than not, the case is as follows:





The data from that second graph can actually be extended beyond the realm of my work and applied to other parts of my life, like paying bills, exercising, taking showers, or getting out of bed.  You could also change the title of the above graph to "How Much Rae Likes People", "How Sober is Rae", or "How Interesting Are Rae's Blog Posts".  You can even manipulate the graph to apply to other people.  For example, it could also be entitled "How Good Kyle Brotzman is at Field Goals" or "How Productive is Cody before 10am".

Since I am obviously very good at producing relevant, functional, all-purpose graphs, I would be happy to make a graph for you.  Just email me the information and I can produce some graphics for your next fiscal report or office meeting. I'd be happy to get to that as soon as I'm not doing Lynne's work for her.  And if you're curious about when that is, please refer to the following graph: 



No comments:

Post a Comment