Monday, November 15, 2010

Project Complete!!

So, I finished the project.  We finished the project.  And not without a few expected snags.  We've learned some very important lessons along the way.  First lesson- do NOT buy 3M blue painter's tape with "Leak Lock Technology".  Leak lock technology is super fail.  The rounded corner lines I sealed were perfectly straight.  Uncle Jeff's tip was sheer genius.  But the tape pulled off the original color underneath it.  So we had perfectly razor straight red lines with ripped off tan paint next to them.  We had to go back along the lines and paint the original color back onto the wall where the tape had been.  Lame.  On the hard corners (along one wall and the ceiling) where I only taped, but did not seal, the red paint leaked HORRIBLY and we had to go back with a tiny craft brush and fix the lines.  It was incredibly tedious.  Which leads us to the second lesson- always seal the tape with the original color.  Just do it.
I won't say Cody and I weren't a tad irritated with each other at a point or two during the project.  Most of the irritation happened when it was 11pm and I had just pulled the tape off and discovered the paint leaks.  Fuck you very much, leak lock technology.  Do not ever buy that tape.  Lesson 3- Don't work on a project when you're exhausted.  When I discovered the errors and had to try to fix them, Cody made the unfortunate mistake of pointing out that he had thought painting was a bad idea in the first place.  He hadn't wanted to do it to begin with, he said.  I think at that point, I sprouted horns and shot flames out my eye sockets, so needless to say, we had to continue the project another day.  I hadn't realized that you could be very very anal while claiming that "perfection should not be the enemy of the good".  And I'm sure Cody didn't realize that you could be having a great time painting while you teeter on the verge of tears and fury.   But in the end, he and I fixed all the glitches and have ourselves one hell of a paint job to show for it.  TADA!!!!  When all is said and done, it looks great because we are pretty much rad.  Yay us!

2 comments:

  1. I think you pretty much captured the ups and downs and mood swings involved in that project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wall looks so great! I love it!

    ReplyDelete